Flow is the psychological state of intense concentration popularized by Mihaly Czikszsentmihaly. Here’s a five minute crash course.
Our topic centers around the main ideas from the two books:
Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
Interview with Cal Newport
The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
Steve Kotler about the book
Ideas to start the discussion
- Flow is simply a natural process and neutral.
- Companies, schools and governments should foster flow states that are productive.
- Dissatisfaction with work and low productivity come from not creating working conditions conducive to flow or deep work.
- What can be done on an individual level to increase flow?
- Deep work isn’t applicable to me.
- Flow is an addiction.