Washington Post interview with historian Joel Mokyr
- What conditions cause innovation and progress in a society?
heyday (noun, often uncountable)
regurgitate the classics (set expression)
chutzpah (uncountable noun)
low hanging fruit (noun phrase)
This text is written in something approaching academic English. Don’t try to understand every word or translate the text. Instead, read the article once to get the main idea. Look at the questions and use the text to try to answer them.
- How do the differences in political structures possibly explain the development of technology in Europe accompanied by stagnation in China?
- Do you think progress over stability is the right priority for a society?
- How did Europeans begin to approach science and knowledge differently from the time of Columbus to Isaac Newton?
- How did views towards classical knowledge change in Europe during this time?
- What can we learn from this and apply to the future?