NY Times piece by Cal Newport
The same material presented in a TEDx Talk
A follow-up blog post by Newport defining social media
- Is social media necessary for a modern career?
- What is the opportunity cost of using social media?
run counter to s/th (verb phrase)
misguided (adj, result. source = misleading)
snake oil (noun phase)
hone (regular verb)
persistent (adj.) persistently (adv.)
hit, fix (= dosage of a drug)
divert (regular verb)
seductive (adj.) seduce (regular verb)
have a good run (verb phrase)
Read the article for deep comprehension to answer the questions below. Alternatively, you could do the same activity after listening to the TEDx Talk.
- What are Cal Newport’s main arguments against using social media?
- Do you agree with his statement that modern knowledge work requires deep concentration?
- What are some other ways that concentration skills can be nourished?
- Do you ultimately agree with his argument against social media?