Blog post by Joel Spolsky
- What are some benefits and drawbacks to an employee having side projects from both the employee’s and employer’s perspective?
override (-rode, -ridden)
contractor (1099) vs. employee (W2)
patent (noun, regular verb), patentable (adj.)
due diligence (noun phrase)
enforce (regular verb)
on paper (adverbial phrase)
ambiguity (noun), ambiguous (adj.)
chilling effect (noun phrase)
Read the article to find the relevant information to answer the following questions and see the keywords in context:
- In what legal cases does an employee or company own the intellectual property of an employee’s side project?
- What is biggest legal ambiguity in side projects?
- What are the four different approaches companies tend to take towards side projects?
Further discussion questions:
- What approach is the best to have towards side projects?
- Do you think that the current law is fair?